Le Dimore del Quartetto


Categories , ,

Palazzo Bardi alle Grazie was built by the Busini family in the 30s of the XV century, the construction was then completed fifty years later when it became property of the Bardi family.
Among the most interesting features of the building there is the courtyard that was probably designed by Filippo Brunelleschi and is the first Florentine private noble courtyard. Worth of attention are also the magnificent wooden ceilings that date back to the XVIth century.
The history of this palace is strongly connected with music: in fact, as indicated in a commemorative plaque outside the palace, in 1580s the Camerata Fiorentina, a group of intellectuals, artists and musicians that aimed to enhance ancient Greek music and to make it live again in new forms, gathered in the majestic rooms of Palazzo Bardi.
At the beginning of the XIX century the building became property of the family Bardi Serzelli, who inhabited it until 1954. The building was then rented by the Provincia di Firenze, which transformed it into a high school. In the 1990s it was bought by a real estate company, restored and divided in different apartments.