Situated on the West Coast of Brittany, this former summer palace of the Bishops of Quimper is a wonderful 38-hectare oasis of parks and gardens on the banks of the Odet river. This extraordinary place will delight lovers of nature (sea, birds, wildlife, fishing and gardens) and seduce fans of history while appealing to those who practice outdoor activities with its golf course, tennis court, swimming-pool and wellness area, numerous leisure and water sports and wide spaces for walking. The Domain offers a variety of indoor and outdoor settings such as the beautiful Orangerie, the seventeenth century gardens and the romantic park with its remarkable botanical collection.
A brief history of Lanniron estate
Charles de Kerret, the ancestor of the present owners, became the owner of Lanniron in 1833. His family has pursued the park restoration under the guidance of close relatives and artists which were great travellers. Madame de la Sablière, daughter of the buyer, might have brought in some tree species after she came back from a trip in Constantinople such as her son Georges, a young explorer in America and in Alaska.
Quimper bishop’s former summer palace
This property belonged for a millenium to the bishops of Quimper, counts of Cornouaille: deeds from the 13th century were even signed by them.In the 15th century, Bishop Bertrand de Rosmadec erected a new manor in which his successors lived permanently or temporarily (as a summer palace) until the end of the 18th century.
The creation of the gardens
In the 17th century, Bishop François de Coëtlogon extended the property. He will be remembered not only for his great deeds as a bishop but also for creating wonderful gardens.The main ornaments of Lanniron are the great canal, the fountains, the Neptune basin and the Orangerie where you can find concerts are held especially during the Musical Weeks of Quimper. Bishop Ploeuc and Bishop Farcy embellished as well Lanniron and the manor house has been extended.
From the revolution to the present estate
During the French revolution, Lanniron sadly declined and it was subsequently sold by the Government in 1791. It was plundered, it had several owners for about 10 years. Emmanuel Harrigton, a Franco-British, became the owner for a decade, he converted the manor into a Palladian house. According to the plans established in London, it appears that Harrigton considered modernising the gardens by removing the terraces. Fortunately, he did not have the time to proceed.