Le Dimore del Quartetto

MASSERIA SAN GERMANO, ACERENZA (PZ)

Categories , ,

The Masseria San Germano can be seen in the distance for both its sobriety and the grandeur of its late 17th century construction. It is located in the district of the same name, near the Bradano river. It is built of stone, according to the customs of the time, and has three floors: the first and second floors are used for living quarters and the ground floor is occupied by services and offices. In the original plan there were warehouses for storing grain and stables, large rooms with characteristic white river stone flooring, with places for horses but also for mules, used at the time for working the fields and for transport. The old doorway with reduced doors currently leads into a large entrance hall where a stone staircase leads to a large living room with a balcony overlooking the Bradano river and a view of Acerenza, followed by several bedrooms with large rooms and bathrooms. On the west side of the building a second doorway provides access to the first floor via a staircase, also in stone, in a semicircular shape. On this side, the ground floor is occupied by a living room and a fireplace, where a large wood-burning oven for bread-making was once located, while the first floor contains smaller rooms connected by a small corridor with the other wing of the farmhouse. The earthquake in 1980 caused significant damage, but careful restoration and proper maintenance by the Schiavone Panni family have restored and preserved the original beauty. With the beginning of 2023, necessary work on static consolidation, energy saving, overcoming architectural barriers and partial restoration was started and is still being completed.

www.aziendagricolasangermano.it

THE PROPOSALS OF MASSERIA SAN GERMANO

San Marzano tomatoes are harvested when naturally ripe, processed and packaged according to ancient local traditions.

Tomato sauce: 5,2 € per bottle (0,750 l), carton of 12 pieces. Tot 62,40 €

Peeled tomatoes: 6,24 € per carton of 12 peeled tomatoes. Tot 74,88 €

Organic virgin olive oil (cv.Ogliarola, Raccioppa, Raccioppella, Frantoio and Leccino):
Bottle of oil 1 l. 12,48 €
Can of oil 5 l. 57,20 €

Hard wheat pasta (cv. Aureo , grown and produced on the farm). each box contains 6 packages of 500 gr (2 of orecchiette, 2 of strozzapreti and 2 of olive leaves): 15.60 €

Jams of plums, apricots, pears, apples and figs: 5.00 pcs (350 g jars, bulk sale, also single pcs.): tot 6,00€

STORY OF THE SCHIAVONE PANNI FAMILY

An ancient Acheruntine family, the Panni family distinguished themselves with Canio and Saverio who, around the end of the 17th century, purchased the lands belonging to the Acerenza fiefdom for the sum of 21,500 ducats. In more recent history, three figures have covered the family with honours: Luigi Panni, Vincenzo Panni and Alfredo Schiavone Panni.

Luigi Panni (1827-1897) was a patriot and member of the insurrectional council of Acerenza. In August 1860, he financially supported the Acerenza volunteer soldiers who participated with Garibaldi’s troops in the battles of Potenza and the Battle of Volturno against the Bourbon army. From 1860 to 1861 he was mayor of Acerenza.
Vincenzo Panni (1860-1941) held the positions of Municipal Councillor in 1890 and Provincial Councillor in the early 1900s.

Alfredo Schiavone Panni (1888-1967), graduated in medicine from the University of Naples, was decorated with the Silver Medal of Merit for Public Health for the fight against the plague in the Province of Derna in 1917-1918 and with the Silver Medal for Military Valour and Solemn Commendation of the IX Army Corps for the fighting at Franza and Sperone Castello – Col di Lana in July 1915.

Do you want to discover all the proposals of the Houses?