Le Dimore del Quartetto


Categories , ,

Soisay manor was built by François du Grenier around 1530. The manor house remained in his family until September of 1600, when it was sold to Anselme de Fontenay. Anselme de Fontenay and his wife Marie de la Martelière undertook major works to extend and embellish the manor for themselves and their nine children, the results of which can still be seen today in the North wing and on either side of the main building: the chapel, the bread oven, the stables and the dovecote.
On the death of Marie de la Martelière, Soisay became the headquarters of a large farming estate, and remained so until the 20th Century.

Thanks to the efforts of André Loth then – who in 1978 became the owner of the site and who began its meticulous restoration – Soisay was then classified as a listed building. André Loth was a keen botanist and his wife planted the woodlands with many rare varieties of trees.
The composer and director Laurent Petitgirard lived for several years in Soisay too and it was there that he composed his first opera “Joseph Merrick the Elephant Man”.

For nearly fifteen years now, Aline and Olivier Le Grand have been inviting young artists (painters, sculptors, photographers, musicians, etc.) to summer residences and encounters with the public; 33 artists of 10 different nationalities have succeeded one another, and some of their works still testify their passage.