Gleneagles is a listed Scottish baronial house located in Perthshire, Scotland and set in the homonymous Estate, which has been home to the Haldanes since the 12th century. Today, the Estate’s activities include farming, sporting, forestry, renewables and hospitality.
The House was built with the stones of the now derelict Gleneagles Castle, the ruins of which lie north of the House and the 16th century St. Mungo’s chapel. The Chapel’s grounds host the family historic graveyard.
A lime avenue connects the Chapel to the House and was planted in 1797 to commemorate the naval battle of Camperdown by the victor Admiral Duncan, whose mother was a Haldane. Stretching at the back of the House into the most striking of settings, a wild garden offers wonderful dramatic views over the glen. A new parterre garden is currently being created in the front of the House. During the summer months, guests at Gleneagles can enjoy the organic produce from the large vegetable garden.
The original East Block of the House dates back to early 1600s and was the Laird’s home farm. This was gradually expanded, resulting in the current 3-storey building. The detached West Pavilion was built in the 18th century and linked to the East Block by a verandah. Today, the West Pavilion houses a music room, complete with a Bechstein grand piano.
The House hosts a collection of family portraits, including those by celebrated 18th century portraitist Sir Joshua Reynolds.
James and Angelica are the 29th generation of Haldanes of Gleneagles and they are due to move in the House in September 2023, with their 3-year-old son, John Angelo.